Londoners consider good Wi-Fi connection to be just as important as low crime rates when moving home

Buyers would only purchase a property with poor broadband if it were discounted at 16% ..

A new survey has revealed that Londoner’s consider good Wi-Fi connection to be just as important as low crime rates. When asked what’s more important between low crime rates and good broadband, the poll was a tight split with 55% voting for low crime rates and the other 45% choosing good internet connection.  A lot of things go into finding the perfect home, from Wi-Fi and local culture to the number of green spaces that are available in the area, every aspect matters to future renters and buyers.  

Estate Agents Douglas & Gordon surveyed 1,350 Londoners to discover what their main deal breakers are when considering a move to a new area, and to find out how much research they do to find their dream home. 

Londoner’s consider good Wi-Fi connection to be just as important as low crime rates.  As the increase in people working from home has dramatically risen over the last few years, it’s only to be expected that good wi-fi is now crucial factor when moving home.  Research has found that buyers would only purchase a property with poor broadband if it were discounted 16%, and half would avoid areas with poor broadband completely. 

Most Important Factors of New Home Ranked 

Ranking Factor for New Home 
Green Space 
Local Culture  
Crime Stats 
Good Wifi 
Pet Friendly 
Access to Shops 

3 in 5 say lack of green space is a potential dealbreaker when looking at different property locations, to the extent that Londoners are willing to pay a park premium to live closer to the city’s green spaces. The poll results show that 63% of Londoners would rather have access to parks and nature than nearby access to shops which only got 37% of the vote.  

A big focus for Londoners is the vibe of the area, a new area rich in culture, entertainment and community is so important to potential buyers that 3 in 5 say they prioritise this over finding a pet-friendly location for four-legged friends. 

Overall Londoners seem to prioritise aspects of a local area that enable them to be outside, enjoying nature and socialising, over other conveniences like shops or a high street.  Modern comforts like a good Wi-Fi connection are now essential to those looking to make the big move. With more of us working from home, this trend is unlikely to go away anytime soon. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *